Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The first 1300 miles!

Well, I have already put over 1300 miles on the car!  Time (and miles) sure do fly.

I went to a conference in Michigan at Grand Valley State University.  I flew, but they did have at leat 2 EV charging areas on campus!  (And they were free!)


How cool is that??

I rarely have to use a Quick Charge these days.  I just keep it charged up at night.  I have not yet put in a Level 2 charger in my home (3 hours to fully charge).  My husband has bought the wire and a subpanel to add in the garage.  I will have him guest blog as he starts that process!

When I did have to stop at a level 3 quick charger, I learned I can monitor the progress on the Charge Point app - even if it's not a designated Charge Point charging station (but is their equipment.)


The reason there is no $ next to Total Amount is because it is FREE for everyone to charge at Bommarito Nissan!  Charges to 80% in 30 minutes, just like all Level 3 chargers.   

On the days when it was 100 F, my husband did try to quick charge at a level 3 charger and it was too hot.  The car had been driven a lot, so the batteries were hot, and the cable itself got too hot.  (The device is smart enough to shut down.)  What was cool was that I got a text message that said something to the effect of "You charge is taking very little charge.  Call this 800# for help."  This would be super handy if you left your car unattended to charge. When the car is plugged in, you can keep the a/c on.  The a/c kept up well with the high temps and cooled down pretty quick. 

Minor Complaints:  Headlights are not as strong as the Prius.  They are OK.

BONUS:  The intermittent wipers have a VERY slow setting that are PERFECT!  (Most cars I have to do it manually to avoid sqeuaking wipes if it is barely raining.)

I love my Prius, I do.  But after driving the Leaf all the time, driving my Prius makes it feel clunky and heavy, like driving a truck!  How funny is that?  The handling and acceleration on the Leaf are just so smooth!  

The car looks great.  Has a lot of crumbs in it now - we eat breakfast on the fly.  I am not stressed out about charging/range.  I have been averaging 4.0 miles per KWh.  If the car has 100% charge, I get 100 mile range.  (I have never gone below 8% though.)  I have never forgot to plug it in at night.  (Even if I did, there are a lot of Level 3 chargers around.  You would probably get 40 miles in ten minutes of charging.) 

I will be showing off the car as a family car, car seats and all, on September 21st at the St. Louis Science Center, with other EV vehicles.  Stay tuned for more info! 


No comments:

Post a Comment