Thursday, July 31, 2014

CrAzY day!!

Well, I changed the battery settings to 100% max, rather than 80% max.  When I woke up, this is what my range looked like:


Well, it was a good thing I did, I had a crazy day of driving.  We decided to pop over to the Science Center's Discovery Room in the morning before camp.  When we got there, I just HAD to plug in - for fun purposes only.  (Even though I had barely used any battery to get there, how can you refuse a free top off and the gawkers walking by to admire your car.) 



We then drove the CWE (Central West End) to get smoothies.  I parked across the street from the BJC lot with the three chargers - only one was in use.  After that I drove out to Chesterfield to drop off my daughter at her daycamp.  Then a Mom I was supposed to meet asked me to instead drive out to her - an unexpected 20 miles round trip.  I obliged and then ran a few more errands and ate half-priced cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory.  How quickly the miles rack up since everything in St. Louis is so spread out!!

After that, I called Nissan West Co and asked if their QuickCharger is working.  (It would be on the way back and a quick stop to top it off.)  They said yes.  I went there - NO DICE.  It was parked in by work trucks for sale and the machine said, "Thermostat error."  I called ChargePoint to report it.  The man on the phone told me  this error was due to the cable getting too hot during charging.  I asked him if I could pour water on it, he said yes.   I failed to ask him if the alarm would need to be reset by a technician or if it goes away by itself.  (Anyone know? Post below.)  I did not try the water trick since I had to go get my daughter from camp. 

When I picked her up, I had just about enough miles, with a few to spare, to make it home.  However, she wanted to eat at Sweet Tomatoes.  Luckily, the Lou Fusz dealership is there with a Quick Charger.  It costs $5 for a charge.  The station screen says "All day."  The app says only during normal business hours.  (Anyone know if it's really open all day?)  I decided to charge first since the dealership might close at 6 pm.  It has a dedicated EV charging parking spot, but it was a TIGHT fit since the repairs folks parked two cars next to it.  (I had to pull in quick there was a guy on my rear end and I had a crying child.)



My kids got fussy and hungry before a full charge (it was around 15 minutes and I was up to 68%.)  I called it quits and we went to eat at Sweet Tomatoes.  (The free 6.6 kWh chargers are out front and you could park it and walk the 4 blocks to Sweet Tomatoes, AMC, etc. I would not feel comfortable leaving my car unattended for that long at the Quick Charge though - it might prevent others from charging.)  We had a GREAT time at dinner and drove home. 

When my days get more structured (when I am back at work), life will get MUCH simpler.  This is fun though!!  :) 


What I learned today:
- color coding on the Charge Point app tells you the station's status and is accurate/up to date  (Trust this rather than the dealership personnel!)
- ChargePoint equipment that is not managed by ChargePoint is white.  They can report errors even if they do not manage the equipment
- I like having it be at 100% max for these crazy busy errand days with extended mileage
- Lou Fusz Ford by Boone's Crossing have 6.6 kWh chargers by their service bays out back if needed (I called them)
-reviewing stations on the PlugShare app is much more user friendly and convenient  than the ChargePoint app reviews
-Starting charging and paying with the ChargePoint a[p is really easy!

QUESTIONS to be answered:
-Does a tech need to reset a thermostat error or will it reset itself?  If not, does pouring water on the cable work/do anything?
- Is the Lou Fusz Nisssan Quick Charge really available 24/7?

If you have any insights to my questions, please post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment